A floor jack is basically a mechanical instrument that aids in lifting of heavy objects especially vehicles in order to make repairs or change tires. A Floor Jack review is an Essential Factor for its success as well as for you mental Satisfaction.
Floor Jack is a must have for every vehicle owner regardless of the type of vehicle he or she owns. That is not to say that floor jacks have utility only in the automobile department. They also come in handy in certain construction work as well as moving of heavy machinery.
What are (About) Floor Jack Reviews ?
Floor jacks enable lifting of heavy objects temporarily to allow inspection and possible repairs. This may be otherwise impossible physically without the help of such a mechanical assembly. That is why floor jacks have become a necessity for all types of vehicles, garage owners and automobile repair workshops.
Without the aid of floor jack review the automobile repair and maintenance will become impaired and risky. It allows easy maneuvering of repairs in automobiles by providing the necessary elevation for proper inspection.
Factors to Keep in View:
There are various types of floor jacks based on a number of factors. Some of the factors to consider while looking for a Best floor jack review are mentioned below:
- Maximum lift height
- Ease of assembly
- Price of the jack
- Lift capacity
- Stability offered
- Life of the floor jack
- Simplicity of operation
- Lift speed
- Time consumed
All these factors are discussed below in association with each type of the floor jack to make it easier for you to choose the right type for jack up a car to fit your needs.
In addition to these factors it is important to keep in mind the specific vehicle or object you wish to buy the floor jack for since different floor jacks are designed to fit different lifting needs.
Another thing to consider while buying a floor jack is to check the floor jack review & Material. We are here for reviews. Floor Jacks typically come in two materials:
- Steel: Steel based floor jacks are sturdy and affordable but their weight poses as an issue and makes it harder to carry around in the back of your car.
- Aluminum: Aluminum based steel jacks though are more expensive than steel ones but are lightweight making it easy to store and portable. Also aluminum doesn’t corrode so it has a longer life span.
Uses of Floor Jacks:
Here we have mentioned some of the uses of floor jacks:
- Maintenance of vehicles
- Changing a flat tire
- Oil change
- Moving platforms
- Changing settings on heavy machinery
- Heavy automotive industry
- Adjusting of radio telescopes
There may be a wide range of uses of floor jacks for various purposes. In order to help you narrow down the list of your potential Top 10 floor jack here are some of the types of floor jacks based on their working and use along with their merits and demerits.
Classification of Floor Jacks:
Floor jacks are mainly classified into two categories:
- Mechanical Floor Jacks
- Hydraulic Floor Jacks
Both these types are discussed in detail below.
Mechanical Floor Jacks:
Mechanical Floor Jacks are used as lifters and they employ only physical means for the purpose of lifting and lowering heavy loads.
Mechanical Floor Jack is also referred to as Jack-screw since it uses a screw thread based mechanism for the purpose of lifting heavy loads. The screw when turned in one direction results in lifting. Similarly, when turned in opposite direction results in lowering of the load. you can read in detail review of mechanical floor jack.
Advantages of Mechanical Floor Jacks:
- Self-Locking: This means that once the lever is let go by the user, the screw returns to its original position. This is called self-locking.
- No Power Loss: Since mechanical floor jacks utilize mechanical power, once the user stops applying force the action driven by the applied force stops. So the power remains till the user applies force.
Drawbacks of using Mechanical Floor Jacks:
- Lifting Capability: Mechanical floor jacks are known to have lesser lifting capability compared to hydraulic floor jacks.
- Stability of Mechanical Assembly: While using this floor jack the weight lifting capacity of the floor jack should be kept in mind. Since exceeding that limit can result in breaking or bending of the lever keeping the assembly in place. This poses as a serious safety issue.
- Greater Muscle Power: Since the mechanical floor jacks solely depend on physical means they tend to require greater muscle power for the hoisting of heavy loads.
Types of Mechanical Floor Jacks:
The common types of mechanical floor jacks are:
A small Z shaped crank is inserted at one end of the scissors jack which is rotated. This rotation results in rising of the jack. The crank acts like a screw which when rotated in one direction raised the jack and when rotated in the reverse direction lowers it.
It has a maximum lift height of 15 inches.
- Lightweight and sturdy.
- Compact in size making storage easy.
- Simplicity of operation.
- It has a narrow base which makes it less stable.
- Slow lifter i.e. it requires more strokes to lift a load compared to an equivalent hydraulic jack.
They are generally used to lift cars when there is a need to change the tire. These jacks are useful when there is an occasional need rather than a regular one like in auto repair shops.
Scissor jacks are meant for emergency use only. This means it should only be used in case of a flat tire and not for other kinds of heavy lifting.
HIGH LIFT JACK
It is an auto recovery tool that meets even the most demanding needs in your off-road adventure. It consists of a beam that has equally spaced holes each one wider than the last. By placing the base under the object and applying force on the beam the object can be lifted. As this is a type of mechanical floor jack it requires muscle power to achieve desired height.
It provides largest lift height compared to all other floor jacks.
- Best suited for taller vehicles.
- Strong and simple design.
- Suitable for off-roading.
- Unstable assembly due to small bottom plate.
- Not suitable for regular vehicles.
This type of floor jack is suitable for taller vehicles such as trucks and trailers since they have high ground clearance.
It is safest to use high lift jacks on flat even surfaces since uneven surfaces can result in the collapse of the assembly.
HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACKS:
Hydraulic Floor Jacks are used for the same basic purpose as mechanical floor jacks but these floor jacks utilize the phenomena of hydraulics in their working.
The hydraulic phenomena as stated by Pascal is that when a fluid is contained in a closed container it produces the same amount of pressure in all directions. This is implemented in the modern floor jacks by means of cylinders. The cylinders are filled with hydraulic fluid. Pumping of the hydraulic fluid via piston mechanism helps achieve the hydraulic phenomena.
Advantages of Hydraulic Floor Jacks:
- Lift Heavier Loads: Hydraulic floor jacks are known to lift heavier loads compared to their mechanical counter parts.
- Less Effort Required: Due to the hydraulics phenomena a small force applied results in a large force which enables faster lifting.
Drawbacks of using Hydraulic Floor Jacks:
- Prone to leaks: Hydraulic floor jacks utilize hydraulic fluid in their operation which is prone to leakage. To keep this in check hydraulic floor jacks require regular maintenance.
Types of Hydraulic Floor Jacks:
The common types of hydraulic floor jacks are:
The working of a Bottle jack involves piston action. This means it consists of a vertical cylinder, sometimes two cylinders that contain hydraulic fluid. The fluid is pumped by the application of a small force which generates a relatively larger force due to the hydraulics principle and allows lifting of heavy loads with the application of minimal force.
It offers a large lift height which is best suited for large vehicle owners such as truck owners. In addition to this it has a lift capacity of up to 50 tons which aids in construction work.
- Stable because of a wide base area.
- Versatile design i.e. it can be used for automobiles as well as construction purposes.
- Extensive height. Even when collapsed its height is still not suitable for smaller vehicles.
- Not easy to store.
Bottle jacks are best suited for lifting heavy machinery over large height and for objects and vehicles having large clearance. This means it can be used to lift tractors or help out in construction. They are also suitable for people with large vehicles like trucks and SUVs.
Leakage of hydraulic fluid can make the whole assembly collapse making it highly unsafe. So safety measures should be taken prior to working on the repairs.
HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK
Its working principle is similar to that of a bottle jack but since it is bulkier in size and more efficient in its working it is easier to operate than other hydraulic floor jacks.
Hydraulic Floor Jacks have the fastest lifting time measured in terms of strokes required to lift an object. They require approximately 12 to 13 strokes to achieve maximum lift height.
- Easy handling.
- Suitable for vehicles with minimum ground clearance.
- Operated while standing up.
- Time saving.
- Heavy and bulky in size.
- Not suitable for taller vehicles.
- Cannot be stored in cars.
As hydraulic floor jacks provide faster lift they are best utilized in sports cars and racing where time is of the essence. It is majorly used for automobile lifting and are found in automobile repair workshops.
By checking hydraulic floor jack review we estimated that these jacks are quite safe since they do not lift the vehicle to considerable heights. Moreover, the person operating it can operate it while standing up so there is minimum chance of any possible injury.
This type of jack also utilizes two cylinders. One smaller cylinder contains the hydraulic fluid. When a small force is applied by the user the force is transferred to the bigger cylinder via the hydraulic fluid. Both the cylinders are connected. The bigger cylinder in turn produces a larger force required to lift the motorcycle.
It can easily lift regular motorcycles as it was designed for that purpose but in addition to that it can also safely lift ATV 4 wheeler vehicles.
- Makes working on motorcycles easy.
- Allows stable suspension of the motorcycle enabling the user to work at it on elevated angle.
- It is not suitable for lifting other vehicles.
- If the hydraulic fluid leaks, the assembly automatically lowers.
As the name suggests it is specifically designed for lifting motorcycles for the purpose of repairs, cleaning and modification.
It is designed by keeping in view the design and stability of a motorcycle so it is the safest option to go with in floor jacks while working on a motorcycle.
Maintenance of Floor Jacks:
Floor jacks are durable mechanical instruments but like all other instruments they face wear and tear due to extensive use and should undergo maintenance from time to time to keep them in good working condition.
Hydraulic floor jacks require more frequent maintenance as compared to mechanical ones since there is always a chance of leakage of hydraulic fluid which should be kept in check.
Generally, floor jack review are important for customers to buy the right fit. Although Jacks do not require extensive maintenance or repairs. They take minimum maintenance such as lubrication of the moving parts to keep them friction free.
Changing the Hydraulic Fluid:
The hydraulic fluid should be changed every few years to keep the floor jack in good working condition. Also the hydraulic fluid should be changed with care so as to not over fill it or leave it insufficient. Both of which can hinder the performance of the jack. You can say its latest technology.
It is essential to remove the pressure from the jack before storing it so that the assembly does not stay in stress. This will also save time in setting up during next use.