Only the people who are interested in car repair know the term Best oil filter wrench? Well if you are a car enthusiast who takes interest in their car’s body parts then you must be familiar with this term. But for the other fellas who have no clue what we are talking about, here is your answer:
What you Need to Know About Best Oil Filter Wrench?
The oil filter wrench – as the name suggests, is a device destined to filter oil from any kind of hydraulic machinery when lifted up by a jack. when we use the term oil filter, we are mainly referring to the engine oil.
These cylindrical can-shaped gadgets aim to remove contaminants like particles, small stones, tar, etc. from the oil to prevent them from entering the engine. If by any chance, they get lodged into the engine, they affect the smooth running of cars or maybe even damage the engine
This could cost you a fortune. As the filter fulfills its promise of keeping your engine oil clean, over time it may be clogged up with contaminants itself and thus be needed to get cleaned up. This is where our hero ‘the best oil filter wrench comes in.
Just like a regular wrench which makes loosening and tightening of nuts and bolts seem like an easy thing to do, an oil filter wrench helps to loosen or tighten the oil filter. Since the oil filter is in the engine and aims to filter oil, most of the time it is very greasy and very hot to handle. To save you from the risk of burning your hand, an oil filter wrench works efficiently to open and close the oil filter.
The Different Types of Best Oil Filter Wrench:
These may come in different styles but all these functions to efficiently grasp the filter and open or close it- for car maintenance purposes.
- Chain-type Oil Filter Wrench: This contains a chain which wraps around the oil filter and the hexagonal bar is turned in an anticlockwise direction to open the filter.
- Strap-type Oil Filter Wrench: It contains a strap, a ratchet or a handle may turn the oil filter. The strap size is adjustable and grasps the filter tightly.
- Socket-type Oil Filter Wrench: it fits over the end of the filter like a socket and turns it with a ratchet.
- Cap Wrench: Cap wrench fits the lid of oil filters like a cap. These are specifically designed to fit the fluted pattern. However, the issue with them is that these wrenches are quite customized and not general. And you need to find the perfect size and pattern that will fit your filter lid.
- Filter Pliers: Filter pliers can be used to tighten or unscrew the filters. Along with being a wrench, they cab be used for fittings, and conduits etc. as well.
- Spider Wrench: These are 3 legged wrenches that hold the filter tightly. Their strong hold resists slippage.
- Spring Wrench: It grips the entire circle of the filter body by slipping onto the end of a spin-on filter. The coil tightens around the whole filter when you turn the end with this wrench.
Buying Guide of Best Oil Filter Wrench:
For any gadget, the markets- both online and offline- are swarmed with so many different options which make it difficult for you to choose among them. Oil filter wrenches are no exception either.
They come in so many different styles and forms that it might become overwhelming for you to decide which one would serve you the best. Any negligence could cause you trouble and after all, it’s the small things that matter the most usually.
We have made the task of choosing the best for your car very easy for you by narrowing down the options to few most reliable and durable ones. See this review for different types of products features and specifications.
Best Overall Picks
1- Assenmacher Specialty Tools V 410:
This oil filter housing wrench which is designed especially for BMW and Volvo car engines is our top pick for oil wrenches. With its cast aluminum construct, it fits perfectly over the oil filters of BMW and Volvo’s engines and is also long lasting.
- Made from cast aluminum
- Fits perfectly over oil filters
- Designed specially for BMW and Volvo
- Lasts long
- Manufactured by: Assenmacher Specialty Tools
- Model: V 410
- Item weight: 2.88 ounces
- Shipping weight: 6.4 ounces
- Product dimensions: 5 x 5 x 5 inches
- Long lasting
- Perfect fit
- Suits BMW and Volvo only
2- Craftsman Rubber Strap 2-piece Wrench Set:
This 16-inch, strap-type wrench consists of two pieces and is not specific to any car type. It’s made of rubber for easy and firm grip and the handles are made of plastic which makes them easy to hold. They also come with a lifetime guarantee from Craftsman.
- 2-piece wrench set
- One wrench large, one small
- Straps made of rubber for firm grip
- Handles are made of cushioned plastic and are comfortable to hold
- Lifetime guarantee
- Suitable for various sizes of oil filters
- Brand: Craftsman
- Model: 45570
- Item weight: 15.2 ounces
- Larger wrench manages items up to 6-3/8 inches in diameter
- Smaller wrench manages items up to 4 inches in diameter
- Suitable for many types of oil filters
- Lifetime guarantee
- 2-piece wrench set
3- Motivx Tools Small Adjustable Best Oil Filter Wrench:
The first and very important feature of this gadget is its universality- all oil filters with a diameter of 2.5t” to 3.25” can be unscrewed by it provided they are ‘spin-off style filters’.
However, it only works to unscrew the filters and not close them. Also, if the filter is cartridge-style or chrome-plated- both of which require plastic or a metal cap to be removed first to expose the filter- this gadget won’t work for them.
- Universal fit- is made according to the general size of filters
- Its captured spring is .050” as compared to other wrenches which have springs of .020” in size
- Tooth style design for good grip
- Prevents slipping
- Jaws are made from nickel plated 4130 chromoly steel
- Built to last
- Comes with 1-year warranty
- Brand: Motivx Tools
- Model: MX2330
- Weight: 13.3 ounces
- 3/8” thick solid steel top plate
- Dimensions: 2.9 x 2.5 x 2 inches
- Firm grip, prevents slippage
- One-year warranty
- Suitable for a wide range of cars, bikes, etc
- Can only be used to unscrew, not tighten
4- Lisle Wide Range Oil Filter Wrench:
As simple as it looks from the outside, the means to use it are also very simple. This wrench which fits most standard size filters is loved by all. With its firm grip, this sure can be a tough competition for others in the market.
- Large range
- Firm grip
- Works from top for tight spots
- Brand: Lisle
- Model: 63250
- Product weight: 12.8 ounces
- Fits all standard size filters from 3-1/8” to 3-7/8” in size
- Best works with a 3/8” drive
- Dimensions: 4.4 x 4.6 x 0.5 inches
- Strong grip
- Fits all standard size filters
- Not Any Highlighted Problem
5- ABN Oil Filter Cap Wrench Socket Set Tool Kit:
As this name suggests, this is a whole tool kit set with wrenches of multiple diameters. This kit contains 7 wrenches which are suitable to fit filters of 24mm, 27mm, 29mm, 30mm, 32mm, 36mm, and 38mm sizes. These can serve vehicles with newer oil filter designs.
- Wide range of wrenches
- Very strong
- Can be used for a variety of vehicles, even those that have cartridge-style filters
- Quick removal
- Socket-style wrench
- Corrosion protection
- Easy to store
- Brand: ABN
- Model: ABN 1305
- Item weight: 1.08 pounds
- Short well 6-point design with a 3/8” socket drive
- Made of chrome vanadium Cr-V steel
- Suitable for different sizes of filters of different styles of vehicles
- Resists corrosion, long lasting
- Comes in plastic case for easy transportation
- Not Any Highlighted Problem
6- Channel lock Oil Filter & PVC Plier:
This tool is different from conventional wrenches both literally and figuratively. This plier not only fits oil filters of cars, but also serves trucks, and other heavy equipment filters. Moreover, like any other plier, you can use it for piping and plumbing issues, as well as electrical wiring malfunctions.
- Attends to many cars, trucks, and heavy equipment filters
- Can also be used for electrical wiring, plumping, and fitting issues
- PermaLock fastener eliminates nut and bolt failure
- Channellock blue grip is comfortable
- Brand: Channellock
- Model: 215
- Weight: 2.08 lbs.
- Size: 15-1/2”
- Isn’t limited to oil filters only
- No nut and bolt failure
- A little heavier than other wrenches
7- Titan Tools Adjustable Strap Wrench:
As evident from the name, this strap-style wrench contains a strap that wraps around the filter lid and the handle turns it to unscrew or tighten it. The strap is adjustable and can be adjusted according to the lid size.
- Strap is adjustable
- Non-marring nylon belt
- Prevents scratching and damage to the finished surfaces
- Lightweight handle
- Brand: Titan Tools
- Model: 21315
- Weight: 11.2 ounces
- Strap size: 36”
- Handle size: 12”
- 1.3 x 2.7 x 14.2 inches
- Handle made of aluminum
- Easily adjustable strap
- Not Any Highlighted Problem
8- XtremepowerUs Two Way 3 Leg Wrench:
This 3-legged wrench grasps the filter tightly and is not specific to any type of vehicle. However, it is only capable of unscrewing the filter. It is suitable for filters from 2-1/2” to 4” in diameter. Further product details are as follows:
- 3 jaws clamp the filter tightly
- Two-way oil filter wrench
- Great for hard-to-reach filters
- Brand: XtremepowerUS
- Model: X8881
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Range from 63MM to 102MM
- Dimensions: 4.5 x 4 x 2.4 inches
- Tight grip
- Good for hard-to-reach filters
- Unscrews only
Some Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Oil Filter Wrenches:
- Question: What is an Best Oil Filter Wrench?
Answer: As the oil filter functions to keep the oil of hydraulic machinery clean, it gets accumulated with grease and dust particles. Thus, it is very important to either replace it regularly or at least clean it often. This is where we need an oil filter wrench because as the engine runs, it produces a lot of heat which makes all things associated with the engine quite hot. If you try to touch the filter with bare hands, you might burn them. Thus, using the best oil filter wrench makes your job easy.
- Question: What is the correct way of using an oil filter wrench?
Answer: As we described in the start how wrenches come in different styles and sizes. Many are customized to certain sizes and shapes of oil filters. However, all of them have the same basic working mechanism i.e. to grasp the filter lid and unscrew it. However, the following are some simple steps that you can follow while using filter wrenches:
- Park your car to an even ground or drive it up on the car ramps.
- Allow the engine to cool before working.
- Secure the oil filter wrench onto the lid of filter. If it’s a cap wrench, it will tighten onto the top, if it’s a strap style wrench, you can adjust the strap size to tightly fix it to the filter.
- Turn in an anticlockwise direction to unscrew.
- How do I pick out the right size of wrench?
Answer: If you want to be very specific, you could get the wrench that is built for your vehicle type and model. Otherwise, a strap style wrench is adjustable so you can use it for various sizes of oil filters. If you are looking for a cap or socket type wrench, you’ll need to know the exact size and style of your oil filter because they need to fit perfectly over the filter. Also, in the case of spider wrenches, you need to check if the sizes of the filter and the wrench are comparable and if the jaws would be able to tightly grasp the filter.