When looking to set up an emergency tool kit for your car, a torque wrench or Digital Torque adapter is a must have item to carry. Imagine having to change your car’s flat tire while on a road trip and not being able to figure out how to properly torque down the bolts.
This can both be frustrating and dangerous as it is very important to properly torque the bolts accurately considering it can impact the overall functioning of your vehicle.
How Does The Digital Torque Adapter Work?
A torque wrench is a kind of tool that tells you exactly how much force you need to apply to the fastener so you don’t over or under tighten the bolts.
Similarly, a digital torque adapter is a gadget that is used to apply a specific torque to fasten the nuts or bolts and gives you a precise and detailed reading of how much force is being applied.
This tool allows the user to set the torque applied to the fastener so it can be accorded to the specifications for that particular application. Digital torque adapters ensure you always have the correct torque. On the other hand deciding on which torque wrench to buy that cater all your needs can be a headache especially for someone who doesn’t understand the technicalities.
There are basically two kinds of torque wrenches available in the market:
- One is the manual torque wrench which is recommended if you are looking for something affordable to buy, though the manual one doesn’t give you a lot of functions.
- The second one are the automatic ones known as the digital torque adapters, they are rather versatile in their functionality and quite easy to use. The only catch is that they are bit expensive, but this one time price can make your life easier to get the perfect torque on your bolts every time.
Looking at functionalities, you might be wondering what features your digital torque adapter should be able to provide to qualify as the right investment for your money. In order to make it easier for you we have listed down a few features you should look for:
- There are automatic torque adapters with different levels of technology, a basic one can give you a simple reading of how much torque is being applied while one with advanced features can allow you to set the threshold and will warn you before you approach that limit.
- You need to ensure that the digital torque adapter you are buying is perfectly calibrated, a faulty one can give you false readings ruining whole process. What you need to do is buy one that has a calibration certificate included from the buyer.
- Prefer buying one with good quality digital display as few standard displays can only be viewed clearly when looked at head-on.
- Consider buying one with a good battery life to save you the hassle of frequently replacing the batteries.
- Look for adapter that can accommodate connecting good sized ratchets any of a 3/8″ or ½″ one.
Top Three Digital Torque Adapters on Our List
After creating an overall understanding regarding these gadgets and how they work, the next thing we have compiled for your ease if a list of top three digital torque adapters available in the market so it gets more easier for you to choose and buy one.
1- ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2″ Digital Torque Adapter:
The ACDelco ARM602-4 1/2″ Digital torque adapter tops our list when it comes to these gadgets, although a new name in the industry this torque adapter has both the best functions and an amazing look.
This amazing torque adapter has a digital screen that shows readings in all newton meters, foot pounds or inch pounds.
The best part? It comes with an audible torque confirmation system by sounding a buzzer, which ensures you always know when you are approaching your desired torque level.
This device is portable as it’s both lightweight and compact. Its flexibility allows it to work with both 3/8-inch and 1/2-inch ratchets. This device operates both clockwise and anti-clock wise and comes with 2% clockwise and 3% anti-clock wise accuracy in calibration.
- Static torque measurement
- LCD shows measurements in a lot of variables
- Audible torque confirmation with buzzer
- Works both clockwise and anti-clock wise
- 3/8″ and 1/4″ adapters need to be bought separately
2- Powerbuilt 940962 1/2″ Adapter With Storage Case:
The next on our list is the Powerbuilt 940962 1/2″ which is just as amazing as the first one on our list. This portable easy to store digital torque adapter comes with a storage case and a calibration cube.
The best part about this digital torque adapter is its accuracy in calibration that is +/- 1% making it one of the best available options in the market.
The digital screen on this device shows five different scales, and also gives you different functionalities the real time reading of how much force is being applied is shown in trace mode while the peak mode shows the maximum amount of force applied in every scenario.
This torque adapter too has an inbuilt audible toque confirmation system which buzzes when you are about to reach your desired torque. The total torque range of Powerbuilt 940962 ½” is between 29-147 foot-pounds.
- One of the most highly calibrated options available in market
- Compact and durable
- Audible torque confirmation with buzzer
- Comes with storage case
- The battery life is not that good
- Carry handle is not mounted centrally
3- Neiko 20741A 1/2″ Compact and Portable Adapter:
The Neiko 20741A 1/2″ is also one of the best available options in the market that’s why it’s third on our list. The compact and portable device comes with a storage case.
The best feature in this option is that it has both an LED light indicator and audible sound buzzer to indicate when the desired torque level is about to be reached.
This digital torque adapter can turn any ratchet wrench into a precision torque wrench. It has a calibration level of +- 2% accuracy which is slightly less than its Powerbuilt competitor.
The feature that separates this from the other competitors is that this adapter comes with a memory slot that can store about 50 separate readings on this device. The torque range of this device is between 29.5-147.5 foot-pounds.
- Comes with memory slot
- LED light and audible torque confirmation with buzzer
- Can turn both clockwise and Anti-clockwise
- Few complaints regarding battery timing
- Can cause chaos while using
Looking at all three of these featured digital torque adapters we can confirm that these are definitely the most versatile and durable/robust options available in the market.
Their compact designs and storage cases ensure that you can carry them along in your car tool kit. The ACDelco tops our list if you are looking for functionalities over price while the Neiko 20741A 1/2″ is the best option if you are looking for an affordable option.